Monday, 2 January 2017

Go Tigers! Hull City FC- The Penny Football Pinafore

I've made the Penny Pinafore by Kitschy Coo a few times before.  I've made dresses and I've adapted it to be a (really flattering) swimsuit pattern too.  It's quick and easy and fabulous.  Those princess seams just make everything look great.  It might actually be my favourite pattern in the whole world.

Mum Pocket Fox is a football fan.  I don't know why, but apparently a lot of people are into that sort of thing.  When I saw some brilliant football print jersey fabric at myfabrics.co.uk I decided I wanted to make her a football top for Christmas, for her team- Hull City.  At first I was planning on doing a raglan T-shirt, but then I thought football t-shirts are probably pretty easy to come by anyway, so I'd do something a bit different- and I settled on the tried-and-tested Penny Pinafore pattern.  It comes in 3 lengths so I chose to do the tunic length with a bit of extra length added- I was hoping it would be short enough to wear as a top with jeans, or long enough to wear with leggings and boots.  To be honest I have no idea what people might wear to go watch a football match.  Maybe a scarf would have been a more practical idea? 


The most time consuming part of this make was finding a copy of the Hull City FC logo in sufficiently high resolution to get my Cricut machine to cut it out.  It was made even more difficult by the fact that the club changed its logo a couple of years ago, and a lot of the files I found were the old version.  It took me a whole afternoon of searching and playing around before I eventually found it on Wikipedia. 

And it was soooooo worth it!  This little tiger is fabulous.  I was worried about how well my machine would cut all of the tiny bits, and whether it would iron on well, especially as I find the flock vinyl can be tricky to peel off.  But I'm really pleased with the end result.  (I'm not so pleased with the pictures, mostly because the light is very bad- I had to take them at night, in December, on my kitchen table, before I packed it up to post the next morning...)



Happy New Year everyone, and best of luck to Hull City for the rest of the season!  I would like to say I have resolved to sew more, take better pictures, post more pictures on Facebook, blog more regularly... but I'm going to be realistic and just see how things go!

1 comment: